Saturday, July 29, 2006

Turning Point?

In Search of an Outlet

For the past 18 months, I have been writing a monthly food column for a friend who owns a freely-distributed, high impact, full-color magazine. The magazine has been around for a few years, but the food column was a new addition.

Originally, the column started out as a one-page, anything-I-want space. I had no experience with writing a food column, with crafting recipes for publication, with food styling for photography's sake, etc. so, I just jumped in. I picked a topic, told a story (to take up space) and that story led to a recipe, and the recipe was represented by a picture. I was so amateurish that the first article's photo was of the store where I bought the olive oil and not of the salad dressing recipe I made. LOL!!!

In time, the column grew to two full-pages featuring three recipes with a special food issues at Thanksgiving and in Summer. Of course, other issues arose, like there is only so much "work" you can do gratis for a friend.

I feel quite torn. I love writing about, cooking, and photographing food, but I also feel like doing all that work for one magazine is really a partnership. And partnerships go two ways. Since he and I are now at odds over what the real partnership should entail, I created this bloc today.

Hopefully, something terrific will happen from this opportunity.

Here is the first recipe from the first article I published in that freely-distributed magazine I wrote about above:

Balsamic Vinaigrette for Salad Greens

Ingredients
1 cup Nomads Olive Oil
1\2 cup balsamic vinegar
4 Tbs. Good quality Dijon style mustard
1 Tbs. Italian blend seasoning
2 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. Kosher salt

Procedure
In a lidded, quart jar (I use an old pickle jar), pour the Nomads Olive Oil and balsamic vinegar. Finely mince the shallot and add to the jar. Next use the salt and the front tip of a large chef's knife to make a paste out of the garlic cloves. Add to the jar. Add the freshly ground black pepper, mustard and Italian seasonings. Tightly place lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well blended. Repeat as necessary during the first hour so the vinaigrette remains emulsified. Allow flavors to blend for at least one hour before using. Use within two weeks. Serves 5-8. Work Time: 15 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home